and receive exclusive recipes and my latest vegan dishes and news.
Vegan Hippo super rich chocolate cake
Vegan Hippo is soon becoming one of my favourite vegan haunts in London not only because of it's central location but also it's food. And when they revealed their chocolate cake recipe to me as a confessed chocoholic I had to absolutely make it myself. And luckily it's quite easy to make as well. Very rich, chocolatey and no need to bake. You should definitely either try to make it yourself or even let the lovely guys at Vegan Hippo serve you a slice or two. In any case pop over, support a vegan business AND your taste buds and check out their other dishes like the amazing pulled jackfruit burger.
52 Rupert Street, London W1D 6DS
Tel: 020 7734 8574
Mon - Fri: 6.30am - 21.30
Sat: 12.00 - 21.30
Sun: 12:00 - 18:00
- 2 vegan plain digestive biscuit packs (e.g. the free from variety - 360g of biscuits in total)
- 3 big spoonfuls of sunflower spread.
- 600 g of dark cooking chocolate (maybe a bit extra if you also like to drizzle melted chocolate on top of the finished cake like I did)
- 500g coconut soy yogurt (e.g. 1 Alpro tub)
- 250g soya cream (e.g. Alpro or Provamel, single or double, both works)
- 3 big spoons of liquid coconut oil
- Desiccated coconut to garnish
Blitz the biscuits in a blender or food processor before adding the sunflower spread (warm up so it becomes liquid) and mixing together.
Move this mixture to a round cake tin and press down evenly to create the base. Melt the dark chocolate over hot water in a bain-marie (or carefully melt in the microwave - microwave, take out, stir, put back in, repeat until fully melted) and then leave to cool for about 10min once it is melted.
Mix the coconut yoghurt with the soya cream and coconut oil before adding in the slightly cooled down melted chocolate too. You can then pour this into the cake tin over the biscuit base and place the tin in the fridge for four hours.
Once the cake has set, garnish it with the desiccated coconut. I also drizzled some chocolate on top for extra effect. Enjoy!
More Vegan Baking, Desserts & Vegan Ice Cream recipes