Quinoa potato cakes in a rich tomato sauce
INGREDIENTS (4 portions):
Potato cakes ingredients:
- 750g large potatoes cooked and peeled
- 250g cooked red and white quinoa (I always buy it ready cooked from the shop)
- 2 tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Tomato sauce ingredients:
- 1 medium sized onion
- 6 sundried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tins of chopped tomatos
- 1 1/2 tins of water (use the empty tomato tin)
- 75g of olives (green, black or mixed)
- 2 large glasses of redwine (one for the sauce, one for you to enjoy while cooking)
- 1 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- Dash of pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 large pack of spinach
Cook large potatoes until soft (you have to mash them later).
In the meantime finely chop 1 onion and the sundried tomatoes and fry both in a pan (no need to use extra oil as the sundried tomatoes are very oily already. Chop the olives and add to the mix together with all other tomato sauce ingredients and cook for at least 30 minutes.
Once the potatoes are cooked, cool them down in cold water and peel them. Preheat your oven to 200C. Add all potato cake recipe ingredients into a large bowl and combine well with your hands until you get a dough like texture. Spoon the mix into baking rings and place the small cakes onto a baking tray that's covered with baking paper. If you don't have baking rings, no problem, just form round patties. Sprinkle some oil on them and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Once they are done, sauté the spinach in olive oil with a bit of garlic and salt.
Plate the dish with tomato sauce first, then add a cake, the spinach and then place another quinoa potato cake on top. Serve and enjoy.