and receive exclusive recipes and my latest vegan dishes and news.
Special guest recipe: beetroot risotto with tofu ricotta
For more delicious vegan recipe ideas, also check out my other videos on my youtube channel and subscribe here:
The thing I love about Romy's recipe is that they are also super creative and look absolutely stunning. The colours really do pop in this dish!
I am a big fan of beetroot and tofu and when she told me about this recipe I instantly knew it would be awesome.
I just want to dive into this risotto! Doesn't it look incredible.
And Romy isn't just a great vegan chef, she's also been on Channel 4's 'Crazy Delicious' tv series - a real multi-talent! Check out her blog here, it has tons of brilliant vegan dishes:
You can also follow her on Instagram:
For the beetroot risotto:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 250g risotto rice, uncooked
- 90ml vegan white wine
- 1 Beetroot, peeled and shredded
- 500-600ml vegetable stock
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the tofu ricotta:
- 150g firm tofu, drained
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Sunflower seeds
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium/high heat. Place the shallots
inside and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add in the crushed garlic and
cook for a further minute before adding the risotto rice.
2. Toast the risotto rice in the hot pan for 2 minutes, then deglaze your pan with the
vegan white wine and reduce the heat to low/medium.
3. Peel and shred the beetroot in a food processor (or do it by hand) and add the
shreds to the pan. Give it a good stir to combine everything with the rice.
4. For the next 25-30 minutes continue to add small amounts of the vegetable stock to
the pan, and stir continuously, adding more stock every time the majority has been
soaked up by the risotto rice. After adding about half of the stock, add in the thyme
5. Continue to add stock until your rice is cooked and creamy - and the majority of the
liquid has been soaked up, then stir in the balsamic vinegar and lemon juice and
remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. For the tofu ricotta, place the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and sunflower seeds
into a small food processor and process until smooth and creamy - you might have to
add a couple of tablespoons of water if the mix doesn’t combine thoroughly.
Alternatively use a stick blender to combine everything.
7. Serve the risotto with a dollop of the tofu ricotta and sprinkle with fresh herbs for
Let me know if you enjoyed the recipe in the comments and if you want to see more guest chefs on my blog.
And if you enjoyed this recipe you will also love my veggie rice with sunflower seed sour cream.
More Easy Vegan Mains recipes