Vegan sausage on a roll with fried onions and salad
INGREDIENTS (8 sausages):
Ingredients sausage filling:
- Sunflower oil
- 1 medium-size onion
- 4 mini Portobello mushrooms
- 200g frozen meat free mince (you could also use Textured Soya Protein which needs to be cooked first, it's also known as TVP)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of barbecue seasoning
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder/granules
- 1 stock cube
- 1/4 cup of hot water (for the stock cube to dissolve)
- 3 teaspoons of tomato puree
- Some black pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- Rice paper (I used smallish round ones from a supermarket Vietnamnese spring roll kit, but any size or shape will do)
- 1 onion (cut into rings)
- Salad leaves
- Ketchup and mustard (optional)
- Bread rolls or small baguettes
Start chopping up the onion and the portobello mushrooms and fry in some sunflower oil. Add the meat free mince to it and all other ingredients and seasonings (dissolve the stockcube in water and add as well) for the filling apart from the breadcrumbs. Fry until you get a thick mixture, there shouldn't be much liquid anymore. Put it aside and let it cool down a bit.
Once it's cooled down add it to a food processor (standard blade setting) to create a paste like mix. Now put it into a medium size bowl and add the breadcrumbs to it. Combine well to get a dough like mixture.
The next step is about encasing the filling. If you've ever made Vietnamese spring rolls this should be easy for you. Using a shallow bowl mix hot water with the soy sauce and tomato puree. Dunk the rice paper into this marinade for about 5-10 seconds until it softens and then put it on a flat surface. Spoon the sausage mixture in an even row across the centre leaving some space on the right and left. Now fold over the top and tightly roll it in. Cut off the bottom part of the rice paper to get a clean end. Close the sausage on the right and left by twisting the ends.
Now fry in a pan (griddle pan or normal pan) with some oil on medium heat. Make sure you fry it on all sides. During the process it might get air bubbles and turn white in some areas, keep frying until it get a darker colour.
Serve on a roll or baguette on a large salad leaf and fried onion rings. Top with ketchup and sweet mustard. Enjoy! You can even freeze the sausages and fry later. Or freeze the fried sausages and whenever you get a craving for sausages put them in the oven at 200C for 10-15 minutes.